Low alloy steels are widely used to produce pipes, automotive and aerospace bodies, railway lines and offshore and onshore structural engineering plates. High-strength low alloy steel is used due to its corrosion resistance properties. Low alloy steels typically contain less than 10% alloying elements (C, Mn, Cr, Ni, Mo, V and Si combined). Accurate and fast elemental analysis is a critical requirement during the production of steel.
Expertise program for XRF analysis of low alloy steels
The Low Alloy Steel (LAS) Expertise program delivers a complete methodology from sample preparation to quality assurance for elemental analysis using XRF and covers high-strength low alloys, high heat resistance steels (chromium-molybdenum steel), low temperature use steels, (nickel steels), weathering steels and high tensile strength steels. The method has been developed using a master calibration of more than 90 certified reference materials.
The following elements and concentration ranges are covered:
|Element||Concentration range (wt%)||Element||Concentration range (wt%)|
|C||< LLD - 1.29||Cu||0.0013 - 0.66|
|Al||< LLD - 0.3||As||0.0005 - 0.14|
|Si||< LLD - 1.46||Zr||0.0015 - 0.2|
|P||0.002 - 0.072||Nb||0.0004 - 0.3|
|S||0.0009 - 0.089||Mo||0.002 - 1|
|Ti||0.0005 - 0.31||Sn||0.001 - 0.24|
|V||0.0006 - 0.52||Sb||0.0005 - 0.072|
|Cr||0.0015 - 5.15||Ta||0.001 - 0.23|
|Mn||0.0057 - 2||W||0.012 - 0.3|
|Co||0.0012 - 0.3||Pb||< LLD - 0.024|
|Ni||0.002 - 4.45|
Note: If the certified concentration is lower than the LLD value, the term < LLD has been used to indicate the lower limit of the concentration range
This Expertise program includes a complete methodology, from sample preparation to quality assurance, to be used with Malvern Panalytical’s XRF systems.
- 4 monitor samples for drift correction and sample preparation correction, together with method setup templates
- Setup of optimized analysis program and system calibration using 6 transfer samples traceable to more than 90 CRMs, enabling best throughput and accurate results, as well as easy routine analysis by factory operators
- Setup of calibration maintenance procedure
- Advice on workflow optimization
- Advice on efficient preparation of samples
- User training and documentation
NOTE: transfer samples will be made available for calibration, these samples are to be returned to Malvern Panalytical.
- Statistical Process Control for WD XRF systems*, for setting up QA/QC workflows
- Malvern Panalytical XRF spectrometer: Zetium, Axios, or MagiX WD XRF systems
- Sample preparation equipment
Contact our specialists
* SPC is already included with Zetium systems