This is a three day course is part of the X-ray Diffraction Advanced Applications Courses (XRD AAC) week. It is intended for users seeking to expand their knowledge on thin film analysis of single crystal thin films. The course covers basic principles and practical aspects of high resolution x-ray diffraction, including tips for optimization of sample positioning and data collection. The various options available on Empyrean, X’Pert3 MRD (XL) and X’Pert Pro MRD (XL) systems will be discussed, including the use of area detectors for sub-minute reciprocal space map data collection. Our Advanced Materials Analsis Software Suite (AMASS) will be used to analyze the 1D rocking curve/ coupled scans and 2D reciprocal space maps. The new simulation capabilities of AMASS will be explored, as well as configuration of automated analysis using 1D and 2D diffraction data. Reflectometry analysis is covered in a separate course.
As a participant you are encouraged to bring with you one or two of your characteristic samples together with the corresponding sample submission forms and safety data sheet (included in registration packet).
The main aspects covered during the course are the following:
- Basic principles of High Resolution X-Ray Diffraction (HR-XRD)
- Hardware components and their impact on data quality
- Practical aspects of sample alignment procedure and data collection
- Optimized sample alignment strategies
- Coupled scans and rocking curves
- Reciprocal space map (RSM) data collection, including ultrafast (sub-minute) RSM’s
- Data analysis using AMASS
- Data manipulation and graphical options
- Analysis based on relative peak positions in 1 and 2D scan
- Simulation and fitting of coupled scans
- Wafer mapping using 1D and 2D scan data
- Automated analysis and reporting options
The Wednesday 15, Thursday 16, and Friday 17 scheduling of the class is intended to give you time between sessions to review concepts, work on practice examples, and come up with questions. Time will be scheduled to answer questions unique to your applications.
This is a paid course: Standard Industry $1200 per participant, Academic or Government $600 per participant, Please register to secure your place early, due to the interactive nature, course seats are limited.
We reserve the right to cancel courses due to insufficient enrollment or unforeseen circumstances, such as weather. In the case of cancellation due to low enrollment, we will notify attendees by email.